Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Have a 9in vase deep cobalt blue with a olive design at rim

Customer Question

Have a 9in vase deep cobalt blue with a olive green design at rim of vase . The vase appears somewhat irredescent , perfect condition and a set of 2. The bottom is marked with the crescent with the crown and lion on the top that is impressed in the clay. The numbers on it are 6943 and it also has the letters HD impressed in the clay in lower case. It also appears to have a c and an upper case A that appear to be scratched in it.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your pair of vases. They sound beautiful. Could you very kindly provide a photo -so much of the value is the artistic merit of the decoration- and a clear image of the mark on the base.

Once you have the photos in your computer, click on the paperclip icon -located above the text box where you are typing to me- to attach them.

Or if you get stuck, go here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Many thanks and wait to hear,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope these pictures will work .
Thank you!
Pat
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pat,

Thanks so much for the helpful photos, I can see exactly what you have.

I'll have a full answer and a value for as soon as I can.

Best wishes,
Robert

Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

This wonderful pair of vases was made by Royal Doulton, in Lambeth, London, one of England's premier manufacturers of Victorian and Edwardian art pottery, and these are Edwardian, dating to circa 1910. The backstamp is the earliest Doulton mark that bears the royal lion, added following a Royal Warrant granted to the pottery by King Edward VII in 1902.

The founding Doulton's son, John, started a ceramic art studio in 1871 and brought in artists from nearby Lambeth School of Arts where it just so happened there was a seedbed of the most amazing artistic talent. From 1884 Henry Doulton took over the factory and pretty much let these artists do what they wanted and it was artistic innovation and genius such as that of the Barlow sisters Hannah & Florence, ***** ***** & George Tinworth that made Doulton pottery famous the world over.

The handwritten initials you mentioned, "CA", inscribed into the clay of the base are for Christine Abbot, certainly a noteworthy member of this stable of artistic talent, and well known for these beautiful Art Nouveau designs carefully delineated by tube-lining -which is raised paste enamel applied by squeezing it through a tube, very similar in design to a piping bag used for decorating a cake.

As for value, Doulton has not been doing as well in the salesroom as it was a generation ago, but good examples like this by the better artists are still prized by collectors. This pair, the same as yours, but in green sold at auction for $350 which is about right.

If you were to sell at a good antique auction house or on line (eBay, etc) yours would fetch in the range of $300 - $500 for the pair.

They therefore have a full retail or replacement value of $900 which is what you should insure them for.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.