LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have this civil war era plane in a shadow box with

Customer Question

I have this civil war era wood plane in a shadow box with original sharpening stone in handcrafted wood container, all original pieces I think in old carved hinged blade containers. what is it for sure? how old? worth? where to sell? article with it says
civil war and the pieces are obviously very old ad all by hand, its really a neat collectors item. just don't know where to begin to sell it
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would e happy to help you. Do you have photos by chance that you could post for my review. That would help me greatly in value , condition, and age. You may post them here within our chat or by email at ***@******.*** and in the subject line please put attention:ladytanya65 they will in turn send them on to me. Thank you I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added about 6 images after I originally submitted the question, are you not able to see them now?

Hi. No there are no photos showing on my end here.

Hello, thank you so much for the photos I did receive them. Here is a link that will go over the Stanley no. 45 and all the parts to it. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan6.htm The one you have is wonderful you have everything to it and the advertisement. Yours came out in 1884. Having this you were able to make just about anything back in the day. Today many old timers still use these planes to make furniture and the such. They were accurate and gave a beautiful finished product. You will want to keep it all together the articles and parts. The whole set is wonderful The value is roughly 1200-1500.00 and the trick to sell is going to be rough in today's market as it will take a collector that appreciates the piece as a set and wants it for their collection. You can list it on etsy.com as the site caters to the antique vintage collector. You place an ad and people can email if they have questions or want more information. Ebay I would not think this piece would sell god on as they would want it far below what you would ask. You could contact this museum and see if they would be interested in buying or know of a collector also that would be interested in it ; http://www.antiquetools.org/perm-col/south-wing/index.html If I may be of further help please let me know as I am happy to help anytime. When you have a chance and you are happy with the above information please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. Thank you again.......

Hello, if I may be of further service please let me know. When you have a chance please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. Thank you always happy to help you.