Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a porcelain figurine that was my grandmother's who

Customer Question

I have a porcelain figurine that was my grandmother's who was born in Hungary in 1890. I have never seen another like it and wish to learn some information about it. There is no makers mark that I can find. It is of a young girl holding a posy of roses with a full skirt. It is reminiscent of a southern belle but it's a child. It is mainly ivory with pastel blue and pink details. There is no fabric on the piece. It stands about 9" tall. Is there any way I can send a picture of the piece? I would like to know its value and any other information available. Thank you.
Mary
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mary,

Does the paint have a slight pearlescent color to glaze?

At your convenience, please send a clear, in-focus close-up image of her face and a photo of the underside, even if it is unmarked.

There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nora. Yes there is a pearlescent finish on the piece. I am sending the pictures you requested. I appreciate your help.
Mary
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mary,

I am not able to make a match to this for you.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is very interesting that you were not able to find a match to my figurine. It is quite old. I have had it over 60 yrs and it was not new when I got it. Thank you, ***** ***** the time you put in investigating and for referring my question to another antiques expert.
Mary
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have been buying, selling and appraising antiques since 1970. It appears that there is something written on the bottom inside the hole in green ink. Can you tell me what it says? A flashlight may help.
Or can you post a close-up photo of the center?
1.
Click the paperclip icon
2.
Click the Browse icon
3.
Click the Browse button
4.
Select your file and click Open
5.
Click OK
6.
Click Insert
7.
Click Save Changes on this page

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Wayne. I've looked again with a flashlight and see no writing inside the piece. I've attached two pictures of the inside. It may have been a shadow that you thought was writing. However, while looking closer at the bottom I found some very faint lettering. To me it looks like RYM. I've attached as clear of a photo that I can get showing the letters. My grandmother's name was Rosalia Martin (née Ladi) but I'm not sure of her middle name. She married Joseph Martin around 1910. Her initials would then be RM. Maybe she made this? I never heard that she did nor had I ever knew of her doing ceramics. I appreciate any help you can give to solve this mystery.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

I can't find a match. I will opt out of this question and open this to others for their opinion.

Thanks,