rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have been unable to identify a Bohemia made in

Customer Question

I have been unable to identify a Bohemia made in Czecko-Slowvakia China pattern with Replacements.com. Do you know of other sites that may be able to help. I have a picture of the pattern detail. It is a 1" gold pattern band, I also have a picture of the makers mark on the back. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Robin
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Please do add pictures of your set, pattern and any marks by using the ADD FILES button in the lower right of your screen. Do keep in mind that while I will be able to tell you when your set was made, the pattern might be impossible because many patterns were simply not named, especially European porcelain. I am certainly happy to look and get you as much information as possible about your set.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I send a picture?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

There is an ADD FILES button in the lower right of your screen.

If that does not work for you, you can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' so that they will forward them to me. This way takes a little longer, so thank you in advance for a little patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you get pictures.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Got two, thanks. Let me know how many pieces you have in this set (12 plates, 12 bowls, etc).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have 6-7 serving pieces, 3-4 covered and 12 each of bowl, bread, fruit, soup, cake and 11 dinner plates. We wanted to find a dinner plate to finish the 12 piece set. I believe we have 93 total pieces
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is a set of porcelain made by Bohemia Ceramic Works of Neurolhau, Bohemia (now Nova Role, Czech Republic) , this mark being used between the years of 1922 to 1945. The patterns that they made on white porcelain with gold encrusted borders (antique lingo that you can use in future searches for that missing plate) were not named patterns unless they had colored borders. Sets in similar patterns have values of $1500 to $200 for a 86 to 100 piece set from this maker and time period. Finding that last plate will be quite a task since you don't have a name to go on, but now you know that you can search for Bohemia Ceramic Works gold encrusted dinner plate for a term to use on Ebay and china sites every now and then to try and find that piece to complete your set.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I knew all that, I was trying to find the pattern name. How many gold encrusted patterns did the company make during that time? We don't have the only set, and would'nt 24kt banded China be worth more than $1200?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

They made 20 to 30 gold encrusted patterns during that time. They only named about 10% of their patterns and this one does not have a name, it does not mean that you have the only set. It means that it was one pattern of many un named and there is no database or reference for your pattern either online or in books. Gold encrusted china is created using gold enamel paint in which the touting of 24kt gold paint was a marketing ploy (mostly by American china companies) and there is no actual gold in the paint that could add value beyond the antique value of the set.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so it's not real gold, it's gold paint. That begs the question why for instance Lenox claims 24kt gold banded China, a gravy boat going for around $400. If this is just gold paint, the set is worth around $1200 and no more. We probably won't be able to find one plate, would you suggest we sell a 10 piece place setting with extra pieces. I believe we have about 17 coffee cups.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last thing, is there anyone who could test the paint for gold content. I was lead to believe it contained gold. I questioned it because gold is so soft, but many people claim 24kt gold on China and it makes no sense that they are all lying. Do some manufacturers use real gold borders?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

It really is just gold enamel paint. The loop hole that the American companies used to be able to use the words 24k gold in their marketing is that they must put the smallest amount of gold FLAKE (basically dust!) into the enamel paint to be able to tout gold. This is not of any added value because one cannot extract it or melt it and even if you could, it would take 1,000 plates to get $20 worth of gold. I hope that makes more sense to you. It is and it isn't, basically.

About your set, this design is classic and people often buy mismatched encrusted gold to make up a set because the borders are not that obvious unless you look closely. You can certainly sell your set , I'd sell same shapes as sets separately, i.e. 10 plates as one sale, 17 cups as another, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Any suggestion how to convince someone who believes this is real gold that it is just paint? Last question.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Use the same words that I did. "It is gold enamel paint with the smallest amount required by law of gold FLAKE (basically dust!) so that they can call it 24k gold. One cannot extract it or melt it and even if you could, it would take 1,000 plates to get $20 worth of gold."

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I do hope that all helped.

Please click the stars (all five would be great!) to rate me as this is the only way that the site compensates me for my time and knowledge.