LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I live in Wilmington, Delaware. My house is over 100 years

Customer Question

I live in Wilmington, Delaware. My house is over 100 years old. In my basement is part of a very old wine press. It was built in my basement by the original owner of my house. It is approximately 6 1/2 feet high by 4 feet wide. I would like to find out its value. Thanks!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you. You have a home wine press made to last and withstand any element of weather. Easy to clean and produce wine with ease. The value on this based on size and material is $4,200 to $5000.00 It would be hard to disassemble as it was made to be in that one place and the cement looks to be set against or in the wall. There is no comparable piece I was able to find as these family basement presses were not really known to just anyone. It looks to be a one of a kind and very well made. If I may be of further service please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Tanya - Thanks for your reply. How do I find an appraiser that will come to my house and take a closer look at it?

You can find an antiques or personal property appraiser by calling local antique stores, you can try Ashford Institute for a referral in your area(###) ###-#### ***** call your local Historical Society they may even have photos of your home and wine press. Another good source is contacting your county courthouse. They have on hand appraisers of personal property to handle probate cases and can refer you to someone. I would contact the Napa Valley Winery Association in California and see who people have had appraise their items. You will want someone that knows wine and machinery. It can be pricey to get someone to your place but well worth it in the end for knowing more about the press. Thank you for the reply and let me know if you need more help Happy to help you always.

Hello, when you have a chance can you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid on the site. Thank you and have a great afternoon.