Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I bought a "WELLER" vase. It's 12.75" tall. Has 3 pink

Customer Question

I bought a "WELLER" vase . It's 12.75" tall. Has 3 pink roses, 1 on one side & 2 on the other with green leaves. The stems go to the bottom. The color from top to bottom fades from blue to gray/tannish. It's marked in stamped block letters WELLER & ETNA. I haven't been able to find anything on ETNA. Can this be a true WELLER or did I just get shafted?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Weller vase.

Can you tell me which, if any, of these three yours most closely resembles:

(1) Weller vase

(2) Weller vase

(3) Weller vase

If none of these, can you very kindly attach a photo?

Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert, I wish I could send you some photo's but I am not so savvy when it comes to computers. The 1st pic.is the most similar. The colors are the same shades but mine are not so saturated. The circumference at the top is 14 3/4", the diameter at the shoulder is 29". The neck is roughly 1/2" tall. I'll try and figure out how to send photo's but for now I hope this is helpful. The tag on the vase said " rare ETNA WELLER vase". I hope this is fact. Dee
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dee,
Thanks for getting back to me and for the extra information, that's really helpful.

It's okay about not sending a photo, if you say it's most like (1) then that's all I need to know.

The saturation of the colors varies quite a bit from vase to vase, and also depending on the light it's photographed in. The important thing is that I can confirm that you do indeed have a genuine vase by Weller Pottery, Zanesville, OH, and it's quite old. Made around 1906 to be precise, so well over a hundred years old, and as such, qualifies to be called 'antique'.

The roses are all hand painted in slip enamels and slightly embossed to the touch.

As for value, the chip to the base is going to detract a little bit but only if it's visible when the piece is on display, in which case I would deduct about 10%.

This example sold at auction for $200 which is about right.

If you were to sell yours at a good antique auction or on line (eBay etc) it would sell in the range of $175 - $250.

It therefore has a full retail (if you saw it for sale in an upmarket antique store) price tag of $500. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert