Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Just trying to date my antique Koken barber chair that has

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, just trying to date my antique Koken barber chair that has been in the family for 60+ years. It needs to be restored, so I am studying up on the best sources for knowledge, parts and repair skills.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, its a hydraulic Koken with a white porcelain base, handle, arm caps and seat base, the metal is all iron and not chromed...the footrest is cross hatched metal with the name "koken" in script.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Antiques Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure, I can get some more info in the interim...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images of the barber chair, and especially the metal work at the footrest area with the Koken logo.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have included pix of the actual metal work, plus a pic of another chair exactly like mine with porcelain pump handle and porcelain on only the end caps of the arm rests. Someone said it might be a Koken Jr...?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images. At your convenience, please send a top-to-bottom pic from front and side of the chair you own.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is pretty rough, in the "pre-restoration" stage. Here is a side photo, I don't know if a face on photo will do any good, but I will get one if you think it might help