LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

We have an old brass antique canon, it weighs 88 lb's, 28".

Customer Question

We have an old brass antique canon, it weighs 88 lb's, 28" long. Wanted to have it appraised
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you. Please allow me to do some research on this cannon and I will post my findings here this afternoon for you. I look forward to helping you thank you

Hello, this looks to be an authentic brass cannon I would say from the petina the age is 1800s early 1900. Does it have any marks, etching or imprinted with any words or numbers? The value alone would run $15,000 to 18,000.00 without any markings. It is best not clean or polish the cannon unless you wish to keep it and enjoy the piece. What is the bore size? If there is any markings please post a photo so I may tie this to a ship or company. I await to hear from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for responding. We would like to sell this piece. I cannot see any markings. Here are some measurements and more pics.End to end 28 1/2 " total length
Front barrel to back end is 26 1/4
Nipples 1" 5/8 round, length 1 1/2"
8 1/2" nipple to nipple
Barrel outside 3 3/4" round
Inside ball 1 1/2 center hole
Back of barrel 5"
Front of barrel to back hinge 14 1/2 "There is also a wood box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to make sure you received measurements and additional pictures.Thank you,
Petra

Hello, thank you for the measurements I am in the process of research these now and will reply here shortly. They have helped me greatly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Was just checking to see if you had any info more me yet.Thanks

Hello, I am trying to pin point exactly what this cannon was on. Thank you for the measurements it has helped me greatly and I will be posting my findings and value this evening. It has been a challenge but I am getting the information needed. Thank you for your patience.

I would say to contact Skinners AUction house and see if they would be interested in handling this auction for the cannon https://www.skinnerinc.com/search?s=Cannon I have found they have sold both brass and cast ron. I place the age to be 1800-1900s and value for the size and length of the cannon to be between 10,000-15000.00 The measurements helped clarify the type to be a naval cannon and would have had a brass base. The wood box it is in now was for protection when transporting. If I may be of further service please let me know. I am happy to help always.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any other options I might have, anyone i could contact?

This auction house is located in Sacramento Ca http://witherells.com/Services.aspx , also this following link is to Arms and Armor Auctions. contact page http://www.armsandarmourauctions.com/contactus.asp