AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I wonder if I could text you a picture of a very old oil

Customer Question

I wonder if I could text you a picture of a very old oil painting to find out who the artist is and if the painting has value
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

To text a photo is an additional fee, however you can add images here at no added cost to you.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the pictures of the oil on canvas we found. It came from our great grandparents home in Humboldt IA. It was originally a stage coach stop. It hung there in the early 1800's.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Pleasure to read back from you here. There is one photo attached of your painting, a front view. If you attached more, I am only seeing the one on my end. At your convenience, please send the size and a view of the backside (do not remove from frame).

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora, for some strange reason it don't let me download and send more than 1 picture at a time. Here is the back view of it. I can send several more if you'd like. The inside canvas measures 23 1/2" x 17 1/2". It has Waide gold frame as you can hopefully see. Thanks for all your time and help. Shelle
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shelle,

One at a time is fine.

You can try emailing your images to *****@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.

Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know when you get these all. Thanks so much Nora.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2nd pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

There are 5 photos attached.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's correct. Did you get the back picture a couple days ago?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
curious ?? Are you a expert on art work such as painting ect?? I know nothing about this area. Lol
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Yes, one of my specialty areas is fine art paintings from the Renaissance through Contemporary. I received my post-grad from Christie's Auction House in London and spent a decade working in the art world in NYC.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well obviously you are very qualified, Nora !! A little background my parents have both passed away and my sister and I are going through their house and we found this painting under a bed. We know it hung in a stage coach stop in the early 1800's
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shelle,

Thank you for the additional information. Please allow me some time to look this over and to write your assessment.

~Nora

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

I'd need to see a clear, well-lit overall photo, and a clear close-up of the signature.

Photo upload instructions are here:

https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll send the photos and we can't see a signature. My great grandparents owned the first stagecoach stop in Iowa and as the story goes it was left there by a passenger passing through. This would have been in the early 1800's. We are settling my parents estate and found this in their home. It measures 24 1/3" x 17 1/2". Thank you

Thank you. This is a lovely piece, definitely early 19th century. Unfortunately, without a signature, it would be impossible to determine the artist--there were simply too many artists painting in this style, many lost to art history.

Are you looking for a retail replacement value, for insurance, or a possible resale value?

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My sister and I are curious if it has any value in as much as insuring it ect..it really is in very good condition..given we found it under a bed..lol. Thank you., Jennifer

Yes, the condition is quite good. It has an overall cracking pattern, which happens with fluctuating temperature and humidity over long periods of time, but that's not unusual in a painting of this age. The frame is also very nice and I believe may be gold leaf.

This is a 19th century Continental school painting, unsigned, Travelers with Animals in a Landscape, 24 1/3" x 17 1/2" framed, period gold leaf frame. For insurance purposes, it would be valued at $1,500.00 - $1,750.00.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you, Jennifer. Happy Holidays

You too!

Jennifer

I see you have not yet rated/accepted my answer.

http://ww2.justanswer.jp/help/how-do-i-rate-answer

Can I help you further with this question?

Jennifer