Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an original watercolor with the initials LMB in the

Customer Question

I have an original watercolor with the initials LMB in the lower right hand corner. It is a seascape with five sailboats in it, one at the forefront. Where do I begin trying to identify artist or origin?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added a photo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to take a better picture. Thanks.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** will be happy to help you.
.
Brief Explanation of how the appraisers work on Just Answer for you. The appraisers do not work for the just answer site. We come to the site to answer questions customers ask there. We do not send customers any messages through email. We only communicate with a customer in this message box. We do not send emails asking for anything. After we type a communication to you, you get notified by the site we sent you a message. Just like when you send us a response we get notified so we come to this message area to respond to you.
.
Please Note: I am sorry I am unable to do live conversation per phone. There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal.
.

I am sorry but to be honest it is not likely you will find who LMB is, there are hundreds if not thousands of artists who could have signed this painting this way. Online is limited as we cannot personally look at this painting to see whose style work it might be. If we could even figure that out from the painting. It takes an Art Appraiser a long time to do an appraisal on a painting where the artist is unknown. You can take it to a local Fine Art Appraiser, they will want you to leave it with them, so they can do extensive research, they charge around 200.00 per hour, with a minimum of and hour to start. You can do research your self by visiting local libraries to see if they have books on Artists that list their names as well as the way they signed their work, you will have to research almost all the names that start with L, and hope they show works also. Which most do not . There are paid data bases like appraisers use, which you have to sign up for on a monthly basis, that will lists artist by names. There are no picture recognition data bases as of yet. Where you can insert a picture you have and it find who the artist was. Or you can have this valued for what it is, and the subject matter, style, medium it is done with, as unknown artist.

If you would like it valued as unknown artist then that can be done online. We can help with that.

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would think it would be more reaching to value the painting without an artist or the physical artwork. I do think I may have found the artist, possibly Luigi Maria di Borbone...
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

You are correct, it would be more valuable if the signature is know. If the signature is not known it is always best if you have an oil on canvas that you believe to be an original from a famous or well known artist to have it looked at in person. That is why online they can only be valued as unknown artist since we can neither see them nor verify the signatures match.

I have checked past auctions for work that has sold for this artist, I am not finding anything with this name. I will opt out and see if one of the other experts are familiar with this work or artist.

Glenda