Michelle
Michelle, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience as an antiques dealer, collector, researcher, columnist and journalist.
52213563

I have a china tea set - 4 cups - 4 large saucers - sugar

Customer Question

I have a china tea set - 4 cups - 4 large saucers - sugar and cream - tea pot
and when the cups are held up to the light there is an out line of a female
it is also trim in gold , it has been in my family for over 50 + years I believe my uncle brought it from China when he was in the Merchant Marines. Do you think there is any value in it
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer it is my pleasure to assist you.

The silhouette you see at the bottom is called an "An Hua" which translates to a secret or hidden decoration. This was a very popular feature to add to porcelain made for the tourist trade.

If all of the pieces are in excellent condition with no chips or cracks the complete set would sell in an antique shop or other resale venue for $100-$125 USD.

The price can vary depending upon the region in which sold and one other thing is that the market is pretty low for this type of porcelain.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions on your tea set. I am here to work with you to fully respond to your question.

Thank you, Michelle