Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an oil painting that my Dad found discarded back in

Customer Question

I have an oil painting that my Dad found discarded back in the 60's. The painting is signed but the writing is old and I'm uncertain of the name. Either Fco (with 2 ,, under the c and the o) the second name is Fre (j?)g (or q)uerrey. Dated 1764. I'd love to send you pics of it. At some point a warp was taken out by a professional fine arts company, according to the back of the painting.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

What is the size of this painting? And at your convenience, please send a clear, in-focus close up of just the signature area and a view of the backside (do not remove from frame).

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The canvas is mounted on wood. The size is 22 cm X 28.5 cm. I've enclosed pics of the signature (there appears to be a small "M" right above the signature in line with the hair). Also, see pics of the back and a close-up of the art firm's seal that corrected the "warp". You may be able to see some pencil writing above and around the seal. I can't make out the name embossed on the seal. Thanks for your help. Ivy
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I believe the artist signature may be Frederico Freguerrez - or a close match to a Spanish name - however I have not found a match for you to a listed artist.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

I will check on this for you.