Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I am trying to find the age or year of a chippendale style

Customer Question

I am trying to find the age or year of a chippendale style dining table. The reason I said it was chippendale "style" is because the man I had finish it said it was English and made before the chippendale company was founded in America. what do i look
for and where to look?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

To clarify, Thomas Chippendale was an 18th century British furniture maker, not American.

Here is a link for you on a brief history and bio on Thomas Chippendale:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Chippendale

A Chippendale company was not founded in America. But the 'look' or 'style' in which Thomas Chippendale made his furniture perpetuated into the Chippendale style which is a decor or design element still employed by manufacturers around the world to this day.

I can help with your table if you could please provide photos. The most important being views of the underside so I can see how the legs are joined to the top.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora