Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

Just discovered that I have a Marygold painting or print not

Customer Question

Hi just discovered that I have a Marygold painting or print not sure which it is signed Marygold. The picture belonged to my grandmother so not sure how old it is I'm 63 years old so I guess it's quite old , the picture is two women one standing one sitting on the ground by a Lilly pond the one standing is playing a mandolin in the moonlight. XXXX XXXX wa
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know if this is a one off payment of $56 Australian dollars have no desire to pay monthly payments and will not pay a monthly fee to you . Waiting for your prompt reply .kind regards ***** ***** XXXX XX
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cheryl. Thanks for choosing us. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to help.

.

If you didn't sign up for a subscription, it should just be a one time charge. If you ever run into a problem, you can call customer service at this number: 1(###) ###-####/p>

.

That should be a print, but just to be sure, have you ever taken it out of the frame? A print will be smooth. An original painting will have a bit of texture to it. If you don't want to take it out of the frame, you can hold it up and angle it different directions to see if any texture catches the light or look at it closely with a magnifying glass.

.
Given the artist's history, it should be a print. If you can tell me what size it is, I'll be glad to help with a value.

.

Thanks

Diana

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Diana,Thankyou for your prompt reply. The size of the picture is 35cm long and 22cm wide . No I have not taken it out of the original frame it appears to have a number of small nails tapped into the back of the wooden frame . I inherited the painting from my grandmother who was born in 1904 and I don't know when my grandmother received the painting it ouite possibly could be a print but I have a feeling she may have inherited it from my great great aunty as the whole of the estate was left to my grandmother and her sister. I had been told that my great great aunty was comfortable well off for those tmes. I have had a look in the light at the painting it's a bit difficult with the glass but in saying that the painting doesn't appear to look smooth it looks abit rough on the black back ground.Anyway we will see what you think , I hope the photo I took of the painting has helped. The measurements are as close as I could get it without removing the frame at this point in time, it has been signed Marygold in gold paint if that helps you .Kind regards ,Cheryl .
Perth . WA.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cheryl.

Thanks for getting back with me.

.

35cm x 22cm---that's about average for one of her pieces. The artist is actually Marion C. Crowe, an English artist. She was born about 1896 and passed away about 1979. Most of her work came out of the art nouveau period of the early 20th century. She was known for her fantasy and almost surreal imagery. MaryGold was one of her pseudonym. Much of her original paintings were reproduced as prints, some turned up in items like calendars and some were even issued as puzzles. She even worked as an illustrator for children's books. Around the 20s some of her prints were even included as freebies in women's magazines, which helped increase her popularity.

.

It should be a print---it should just be printed on a sort of rag paper or a sort of card stock. It should date to about the 20s. If my records are right, the title should be Serenade in the Moonlight, but I have seen it called Moon of Delight too. It's a beautiful piece and your frame should be original.

.

It looks to be in fantastic condition and in that shape it should be worth about $100 to $150.

.

If you do decide to sell it, keep in mind that prices will vary a bit depending on the condition and where you try to sell it. I don't believe I'd even consider someplace like Ebay. Ebay is extremely iffy when it comes to artwork and many buyers tend to be skeptical when it comes to art. You could try Rubylane. They are more of an upscale online antique shop and sellers do list higher end art there. Other good sites are GoAntiques, Etsy, Artfire, Bonanza and Tias. Etsy would actually be pretty great because it has quite a few collectors that go there, plus it some of the fairest and lowest listing fees.
.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask. Personally, I would try Rubylane, Etsy or even a site like Tias first. =)

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.
When you get the survey in email please consider filling it out. These ratings should be based on my professionalism and courteousness to the customer. I am not responsible for any issues with the site or any values that are not as high as expected. I cannot control either one. Thank you so much!
.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great day.

~Diana

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Diana ,
Lovely to hear from you again, you have answered the information I was looking for and especially the name of the print which I did not know, for obvious reasons I have no intentions of selling Serenade in the Moonlight as I explained it was my grandmothers. If you would be so kind as to let me know the exact amount in australian dollars that I owe and when i will be billed for the information on my card.Thanks again for being so helpful .Kind regards .
Cheryl
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cheryl.

.

I can definitely give you the value in Australian Dollars. In AUD it should be worth about $140 to $210.

.

If you ever want to add to your print with more by the same artist, check Ebay. On sites like Rubylane, Tias or Etsy, most sellers known what they have. They know the artist and know the value of her work, so prices run higher. On ebay, many sellers just try to get rid of items and whatever price they can, so you can often get a really good deal.

.

If there's anything else I can do please let me know. You should be able to rate the question now but if for some reason you run into any problems, please let me know.

.

.
.
.

.

.

Have a great evening.

~Diana

Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cheryl.

Just dropping a note to let you know it was a pleasure working for you and to see if there is anything else you might need?
.

Was there a problem with the answer I provided on your item? I notice that it was not rated, which means I have not been credited for my work. If there's a problem with my answer, I'll be happy to address any concerns you have.

.
If you are having any technical problems be sure to let me know. Some of my customers have had problems trying to rate from an iphone or an Ipad. If that's an issue I'll be glad to help. If not, and you have a moment, a rating would be greatly appreciated.

.
If you've already rated it, thank you very much and feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Thanks!
~Diana