LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a chair that is said, by family letter, to be a

Customer Question

I have a chair that is said, by family letter, to be a Hitchcock chair. How could this be determined as fact. Also have old jewelry, not in great shape, but would like to know the value. How is this done on-line? Thank you, JM
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you. First off how the site works is you post the questions you would like answers to along with the photos. It is usually one item per post as each item does take time to research and answer. Here I will now go with the chair in my answering. Do keep the family letter with the chair as this considered providence of the piece that it handed down through the family to you. You're chair is done in the style of Hitchcock Presidential chairs. These were built to last and very sturdy. I need to go for now but will return to continue going into what to look for in Hitchcock chairs. Please wait to rate me until I have completed my answer. Thank you

Hello again sorry for the interruption of leaving earlier.

The Hitchcock chair is a true American original. It was designed by one man, intended to be mass-produced, and came to stand for an entire genre of chair.

It takes its name from its creator, Lambert Hitchcock (1795-1852). A Connecticut cabinetmaker, he settled in Barkhamsted, a small town in the northwestern corner of the state, in 1818. There he began making chair parts for shipping and assembly.

By 1820-21, he put into operation a bigger plan: the manufacturing of entire chairs. Not hand-made, but created on an assembly line, using standardized patterns and components, in the tradition of the burgeoning Industrial Revolution. Painted dark (instead of using dark polished woods) and stenciled (instead of carved or inlaid), they were fancy chairs for ordinary people.

the dating of your chair I believe to be early 1900 to 1920s. The "sad" finish is very understood because of the age of the chair. The value on the chair you have is $250-275.00. I believe the bottom has been replaced at some point to be able to use the chair. It appears newer then the chair itself. In my answer above I stated it is done in the style of the Presidential chair however it doesn't appear to have the decoration of a presidential chair. I believe this chair was done before the Presidential series was produced. It is a wonderful Hitchcock chair and a true one by the stenciling, the form and the age of the piece. Your letter shows providence and very well could have been written by the one that bought the chair if it is as old as the chair. Showing history to an item is very good. If I may be of further service please dont hesitate to ask I am happy to help you in anyway ............Tanya

Hello, please let me know if I may be of further service