rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Please provide any information, including value piece of art

Customer Question

Please provide any information, including value for this piece of art I inherited. It is heavy and possibly made of plaster. It has several chips at some corners. There are no markings on the bottom.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This a a 1964-1969 durastone ( a mixture of crushed stone and slurry) decorative sculpture made by Austin Productions. It is a cubist representation of a string quintet, made popular by the works of Pablo Picasso at the time. Austin Productions was founded in 1952 in Brooklyn, N.Y., as a museum reproduction company featuring selections from great art collections of Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Asian, African and Contemporary sculpture. The site in Brooklyn expanded several times before the firm moved its facility to Holbrook, N.Y., in 1971. The ceased production in 2008. This piece has a value of $150.00 to $175.00.

Please do click the stars to rate me and to close out this question, thank you.