Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I just picked up what I believe to be an 18th century

Customer Question

I just picked up what I believe to be an 18th century stepback cupboard with all hand forged hardware, including snipe hinges. I have lots of pics. I believe the glass has been replaced because it does not look old, but the rest of it is ancient. I have been unable to find another one like it, therefore, I think it's pretty rare or maybe one-of-a-kind. Any info would be much appreciated.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

What is the size of this? At your convenience, please send a more clear, in-focus close-up of the signature and the surface so I can see the texture.

There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It measures 59" wide by 71" tall. I'm not sure how deep, but I would guestimate 18" or so deep on the bottom and probably about 9" deep on the top. It is all one piece.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, and there is no signature of any kind.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for the delay, I have been traveling on business.

I will send you the live phone services offer. In the meantime, I will need to see an image of a corner of a drawer and door so that I can see the joinery.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the 2 pics requested. The door is mortise & tenon. The drawer front is nocked out for the sides to fit flush.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images. The view I need to see of the drawer, is the corner, so I can see the joinery please.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The side view of the drawer corner is a straight line down, where the side is nocked in to place to the front. It is not dovetailed. You can see how it's jointed in the pic that I already sent. You have to zoom in and the left side is a backwards L and the right side is an L. That's how it is jointed.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out here and open your question again to all the experts.

~Nora