Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have purchased a piece of what I believe to be Belgium

Customer Question

I have purchased a piece of what I believe to be Belgium antique Faience ware. the bottom is marked with a C B and a crown. I think it is Crete De Bruxelles D'Arenburg, but I can not find enough information. The piece is a hand painted miniature writing desk with 5 drawers and a slant lift top. the exterior is profusely hand painted and the slant top is raised ceramics and wonderfully painted as well. Can I load pictures and send them to you for more clarity?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see more images. There is one photo attached of mark here.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The desk is @ 9.375 inches wide, 9.5 inches high and 6 inches deep. It is hand painted under the glaze and the painting is truly exceptional in terms of quality and detail.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I found a match to yours, it is listed as a 19th century French jewelry box, however. Does yours still have the drawers?

Here is a link for you to the match that sold at auction. It went for $1126 against a $200 - $400 estimate.

https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2394/lots/603

As for the mark, I will see what I can find for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does have the drawers, but there is damage, corners missing on 2 drawers, other corners reglued. and a repair to the leg. do you have a better estimate of what part of the 19th century?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

This 2nd half of the 19th century circa 1870s and not past 1891.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still looking for a match on the mark?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Yes, though I have not found one yet. Do you have a link to the web page where you found the match on oldandsold.com?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.oldandsold.com/pottery/belgium1.shtml
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the link.

In the meantime, I will opt-out and open your question to all the experts again, if someone knows the maker name, they will respond to you here. There is not an additional charge to open the question again and you do not need to re-list it.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you VERY much!