Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Can you estimate the value of a Persian handmade large (10 x

Customer Question

Can you estimate the value of a Pers***** *****dmade large (10 x 12?) carpet from turn of the 19th/20th century? Owned by a prominent Detroit family in the late 1900s/early 20th century. Good condition, a little worn at edges.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Persian carpet. It sounds really special.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of the carpet pattern and also a close-up of the back to show the stitch count. Or let me know what it is by counting the number of stitches along an inch of a ruler.

Also, is there any damage or unraveling at the fringe or along the overcasting (the stitched edge)?

Once you have the photos in your computer, simply click on the paperclip icon (that's located just above the text box where you are typing to me) to attach them, or if you need more help, go here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert.

PS. Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer, ignore them, they are automatically generated by the site (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back and forth and information gathering) and don't come from me. Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert,Please see attachments and let me know if these give you the information you need. Not sure how to answer the unraveling question - maybe we could deal with this after you see the photos.Jennifer
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** two photos help a lot.

Would it be possible to re-do the close up and just lay a ruler down along the line of stitching so I can get an idea of the knot count.

Also, can you photograph a larger section of the carpet showing a full quarter including the corner. Sorry, I should have explained better what I needed to see.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert,I will have to get you this tomorrow - I need to move the carpet to a flat area (it's very heavy and I'll probably need help) and I have to go to work now. If we pick this back up tomorrow will you be available to continue helping? In the meantime I have attached some more photos - I'm hoping they'll do the trick although you will probably still need the larger quarter rug photo, plus presumably the dimensions. I am attaching one photo here and will send the remainder in additional responses.JenniferJennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo 2.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo 3.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photos 4 and 5.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for the close-ups with the measuring tape, that's all I need on those.

By all means leave this until you are ready tomorrow. I feel badly making you move a large heavy carpet! but a quarter view of the pattern will be a great help, if you can manage it.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Robert