Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a heavy Chinese display bowl made of porcelain and a

Customer Question

I have a heavy Chinese display bowl made of porcelain and a metal that could be silver or nickel. It has square engraved mark on the back. Picture of 3 chinese children in center on grass and 4 pictures going around inside curve of bowl.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I do not read Chinese so I will not be able to tell you the manufacturer or maker.

From the style (you will need to send photos) I will be able to tell you the period and value.

If this is not enough for you, please let me know. I can release (opt-out) your question so that other professionals can give you the maker; however, I do not know of any site pros that can read Chinese.

If period and value are enough, please send your photos using the following method.

To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page.

I also need the approximate dimensions of the bowl.

Kind regards,

Doris

PS: Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer. Ignore them. They are automatically generated by the system (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back-and-forth and information gathering) and don't come from me.

Thanks, Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See pics

Thank you for the excellent photos. Could I have one of the entire bowl?

What is the diameter of the bowl at the top and how tall is it.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
T

Thank you for the additional photo and the dimension.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

From my research I was able to determine the following -

Your bowl is obviously Asian but I believe it to be Chinese cloisonne dating mid-to-late 20thC. I bought some very small metal and ceramic boxes like this in Hong Kong 20 years ago. The metal is not silver but, more likely, nickel.

It has a retail vintage store value of $350-425.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris