Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Need this item ID'd. I found It hanging on an upper branch

Customer Question

Need this item ID'd. I found It hanging on an upper branch of a Sequa Tree that had fallen down. It appears to me to be a Gun Cleaning rod or the likes.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The long shaft is soft metal material with a small bead on the end. The handle spins on the shaft and appears to be hand hammered to hold it to the shaft. I think the shaft is brass. You can bend it in and out of shape. The handle is ridged. I have seen two other handles like this on a WWII German flare pistol rod the other on a Vietnam rifle barrel cleaner, but nothing like this entire piece.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this does appear to be an old gun cleaning rod.

~Nora