Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I purchased an antique singing bowl with an inscription on

Customer Question

I purchased an antique singing bowl with an inscription on the inner lip of bowl, not on the outside. It looks like it's composed of small dots, not script.
Have you seen this before? It's an 11" thin walled flat bottomed brass bowl with a very very strong vibration.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** will be happy to help you.
.
PLEASE DO NOT RATE THIS UNTIL AN ANSWER HAS BEEN GIVEN. EVEN IF YOU GET EMAILS PROMPTING A RATING. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer. Ignore them. They are automatically generated by the system (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back-and-forth and information gathering) and don't come from me.
.
Brief Explanation of how the appraisers work on Just Answer for you. The appraisers, do not work for the just answer site, we come to the site to answer questions customers ask there. We do not send customers any messages through email. We only communicate with a customer in this message box. We do not send emails asking for anything. After we type a communication to you, you get notified by the site we sent you a message. Just like when you send us a response we get notified so we come to this message area to respond to you.
.
Please Note: I am sorry I am unable to do live conversation per phone. There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal.

Can you read what it says?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course I can't read it. I'm asking for expert advice.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

There is no language that is known that uses these marks, nor a maker that uses these marks, so there is no way to know who made this. I am familiar with this type bowl, having seen and appraised them many times. I can value this for you but, cannot tell you who made it or where it was made.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I would like an estimate of value. It is a thin walled, flat bottomed 11" bowl with a thin etched line around the exterior about 1-1 1/2" from the rim. It also has two etched lines spaced about 1" apart inside the bottom of the bowl. It has an irregular surface, not smooth, with no visible damage to the exterior. I cleaned the outside to improve the sound when it is played in a rounding motion. It has a very very strong vibration and tone in the lower (sacral chakra) range. It does have some stains and what appears to be burnt spots ( perhaps incense resin) in the inside base of the bowl. I cannot remove them with polish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the outside was polished, the metal appears to have a pale gold tone, like a rose gold or like it contains a lot of silver