Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I have an old China cabinet that was my Mother-in-laws, and

Customer Question

I have an old China cabinet that was my Mother-in-laws, and she bought it at an antique store in the 1950's.
I also have an old side table that has porcelain wheels, that was from a farm that my mother-in -law grew up on. '
Is it possible to get these appraised? Can I send photos?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.

Do you by chance see any maker's marking or any other markings on the piece ? Perhaps on the drawers or on the back side?

Thanks,

Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked on the back side, on top, in the cabinet, on the doors and underneath, there is no tag or any marking that I can see.Deena
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me Deena.

That is not a problem at all. Though it is difficult to tell from the stain, the china cabinet appears to be mahogany.

Your china cabinet is an example of sesquicentennial furniture produced in the late 1920's to very early 1930's.

In 1926 Americans celebrated a 150 year anniversary. During this time furniture producers and decorators were competing to produce pieces reticent of the country's existence. Your china cabinet combines the French Rococo style with early American classical styles using early 20th century production techniques.

Taking into account the condition, you would be looking at a resale value of 550-650USD.

If the piece were a bit more cleaned up and the damages were repaired, you maybe closer to 1000-1200USD.

Big pieces take the right buyer in the current market, but the piece has a bit of flair to it that a lot of the sesquicentennial pieces were are seeing come out of estates lack.

I hope this information was helpful to you today.

Best of luck with your vintage china cabinet.

Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Frank

Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.

Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon,

I wanted to follow up with you on your question.

I hope the information I left for you was helpful in your research.

If you can accept my answer and leave feedback for my service it would be very much appreciated, as this is how I am credited for my time with the company.

If you have any future questions, I would be happy to help with any antiques or collectibles you may need information for.

Thank you for your time,

Frank