Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

My husband had an old sword marked Emerson & Silver,

Customer Question

My husband had an old sword marked Emerson & Silver, Trenton, NJ on one side and U.S. DFM 1862 on the other. no scabbard, just the sword. Any idea what it is?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** you for your question. During the Civil War the Federal government used a variety of makers and designs for it's Government issued swords like yours. You have a M1860 LIGHT CAVALRY SABER made by Emerson and Silver Trenton, NJ. Reverse marked US, DFM and dated 1862. Brass knuckle bow and pommel. Leather and brass wire wrapped handle. With any collectors item condition is paramount. In good condition an 1862 Emerson an Silver Light Cavalry Sword with scabbard sells for $600.00 to $700.00. In fair condition with out the scabbard $300.00 to $350.00.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information

You are welcome. Please rate this answer. That way I will be compensated for my time.