Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I found a wall sconce that I can only describe as a

Customer Question

I found a wall sconce that I can only describe as a "parabolic magnifying candle wall sconce". Can't seem to find much about it on the internet. It has absolutely no markings on it whatsoever. I have found a picture of it on the internet. It was from an antique dealer in Florida. They had it listed as circa 1960. Even they implied that they didn't know much about it. Other than that entry, I have found nothing like it. Can you help me identify the sconce, and perhaps some background information? http://fshenemaderantiques.com/wall-decor/parabolic-candle-wall-sconce
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Your sconce is a medical/scientific parabolic lighting device is from late 19th century to early 20th century.

Here is a link to an example for you:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/decorative-objects/candle-holders/19th-c-parabolic-magnifier-medical-lamp-device/id-f_769039/

and another:

http://www.rubylane.com/item/146062-10524/Medical-Scientific-Candle-Optical-Magnifying-Glass

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The devices you have illustrated your answer with, are not wall lamps, they are portable table lamps. This raises the question of how my sconces, being wall mounted could be medical devices. Likewise, the link that I sent with my question, shows an exact match of the lamps I have. Yet they are identified as lamps circa 1960. Please expound on your answer, as it does not seem well supported.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Please allow me some time to look into this for you. In the meantime, I will open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On Friday I asked a question about a reflective wall sconce. The response to the question was not accurate, and was not supported well. I was told another expert would be looking into my question. I have not heard anything back yet. Will somebody please find the answer, or refund my fee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This msg is for Nora. On 10/2 I asked a question about a reflective magnifying candle wall sconce. The response was questionable. You were going to look into the answer more fully, as well as open the question to others. I still have not heard anything back. Will you please answer my question, or refund my money.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I’m Josie a moderator for this topic.
It seems the Expert has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Expert thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question.
We appreciate your patience, but we can not predict or guarantee response time, just because the volume of questions, number of Experts online, complexity of questions, and other factors vary.
You have made a good faith deposit/payment, which you can use to pay for a helpful answer, or have refunded upon your request.
Your question remains open to all Experts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I guess that an answer is not forthcoming. May I please have a refund of my deposit. Thanks for your time.