Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

I have a rather large oil painting of two Englishman and

Customer Question

I have a rather large oil painting of two Englishman and several hunting dogs. The artists signature is J Russell. Know anything about that artist? Canvas appears to be original and restretched over a Frederick frame. Thanks!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

There are quite a number of listed artists with the last name Russell and the first letter of their first name starting with "J".

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are three photos for your review. Paint appears to be original and not a giclee. Magnifying glass shows consistent brush strokes and layers of paint. Some light cracking of paint is evident in places. Only visible with magnification. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, it is 36x24.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images and additional information. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much!
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I checked against all the J. Russell listed artists and there is not a match. I can opt-out and open this again to all the experts for you to see if someone recognizes the work for you. There is not an additional cost for me to open the question again for you.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds great! Thanks so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for a response from someone! Its been way beyond 24 hours!
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising paintings for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. This is a newer painting of an old English hunt scene. These are done in Asia for the most part in Indonesia. One artist my sign several different names depending on the subject matter. A Parisian street scene may be signed "Pierre" for example. You are correct this is an original oil painting and not a print or giclee. Similar paintings are selling for $200-300 at auction and retail for $500.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure. Please take time to rate my service.

Thanks again,

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can tell you about this? If not please take time to rate my service. This is the way justanswer compensates me for my time and efforts without additional cost to you. It has been a pleasure working with you.
Thanks again,