Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a second silver spoon i would like to know where it

Customer Question

i have a second silver spoon i would like to know where it is from and what is it worth
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Besides there are extra system charges to you for live conversations.

Thank you fr the excellent photos.

Please tell me how long your spoon is.

Kind regards,

Doris

PS: Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer. Ignore them. They are automatically generated by the system (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back-and-forth and information gathering) and don't come from me.

Thanks, Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my spoon is just over four inches long and has an ornate flower design on the handle. the spoon itself my index finger fills the end of it

Gorham holloware was marked with date letter until 1885 at which time symbols were used.

Flatware like your spoon was rarely marked with a letter. Therefore, if any letter appeared on flatware is was random.

Your spoon dates 1885 by the Gorham Corporation of Rhode Island. See the photo that follows...

What looks like the number "3" appears where you have what looks like a "2." However the symbol at the top matches perfectly - what looks like a wild boar. The numbers coincide with the weight of the various qualities that were made for each pattern.

My research indicates that your Gorham Sterling spoon has a retail antiques store value of $70-80.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris