Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers
57035021

I'm looking antique rock crystal, amethyst and smokey quartz

Customer Question

I'm looking for an antique rock crystal, amethyst and smokey quartz chandelier appraised. The chandelier (including crystals) is approximately 46" from top to bottom and 28" wide. 15 arms/lights. Hanging on the light are an assortment of rock crystal, amethyst, smokey quartz and glass.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 detailed images added.
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Is there any maker's identification? What's on the tag?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I purchased the chandelier yesterday at an antique show but unfortunately they did not provide me with a maker's identification. Where would this typically be on the chandelier? I can look now.

Look at all the metal parts. What information was on the tag?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just looked the chandelier over and no identifying marks jumped out at me. The tag said late 19th century rock crystal and amethyst chandelier along with the price. It was purchased from a dealer called Antique Liquidators, LLC out of Dallas, TX.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I personally believe the chandelier to be later - probably 1920s? Are you unable to assist without a maker's mark? My understanding is that many chandeliers are unmarked.

Thanks for this information.

I can still value the chandelier for you. Sometimes a signature or manufacturer's identity will add to the value.

This is truly a wonderful fixture! They made good use of quartz - both the smokey and the amethyst.

The chandelier appears to be European, possibly French, and looks as if it was made at the turn of the 20th century.

It is difficult to identify the metal from your pictures, but it looks like bronze. If it is bronze, and if the chandelier is in excellent cosmetic and working condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $25,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $10,000, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I do need your rating.

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Can you please let me know how you arrived at that figure? It's much higher than I thought it would be - and much, much more than I paid for the fixture. It is in working condition and appears to be in very good cosmetic appearance.

Yes, of course.

I researched similar chandeliers, most of which were bronze and French, all of which had rock crystal and quartz pendants. A great deal of the value hinges on the chandelier being bronze. If it is brass or iron, the value would be about half the figure I gave you.