Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a smoke pipe my father passed down to me. The pipe is

Customer Question

I have a smoke pipe my father passed down to me. The pipe is a figure of a woman with a straw hat with a ribbon laced through out the hat ending in a bow on the right. It comes with 2 pieces that appear to hold the Tabasco, and a pipe handle(not sure what to call it). With case. The cas has a marking on it but it on the material inside the box but you can not read it.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

This is a late 19th century Meerschaum pipe. The material is actually hardened seafoam that is carved. The seafoam at that time was mostly gathered off the coast of Turkey and the majority of these pipes were sold through makers in Austria. When new, the carved area would have been very white in color, and it turned the present color from use. On today's market, your Meerschaum pipe in original case can sell for $40 - $60. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $120.

Here is a link for you about Meerschaum:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meerschaum

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora