Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an original Earlene Moses oil painting dating back to

Customer Question

I have an original Earlene Moses oil painting dating back to the 1980s. It's an ocean scene. What is it worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Besides there are extra system charges to you for live conversations.

Please send me the sight dimensions of your painting not including the frame.

To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page.

Kind regards,

Doris

PS: Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer. Ignore them. They are automatically generated by the system (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back-and-forth and information gathering) and don't come from me.

Thanks, Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent a picture of my painting with original request. But I will attach again. Approx 21 x 24

Earlene Moses

" Earlene Moses has achieved a place of prominence in the rt world by creating images that preserve the beauty of rural English and French cottages and landscapes. Because of her attention to detail and use of color, her work stands out and brings a sense of warmth to her admirers.

A California native, Earlene Moses attended the University of Texas. She graduated with a degree in Fine Art and then proceeded to enter her work in various exhibitions and juried shows. At these exhibitions and shows, she received numerous awards, including International recognition as "Best of Show" in Ramstein, Germany. In addition, she has been featured in many "One Woman" shows and her work has been consistently acclaimed because of the broad scope of its appeal.

As a result of Earlene's expertise, she has appeared on television and has received praise internationally for her series of lectures. Besides being such an accomplished painter, she is respected in the academic community for her ability to teach and is a sought after speaker in the art world today.

Earlene's choice of subject matter is based upon her desire to capture the tranquility that used to exist and still does exist in places untouched by the turmoil of the 20th century. She presents the viewer with serene images associated with simpler times and is recognized as an expert at creating images that are pleasing to the eye.

When her original oil painting, entitled "Early Morning Sunlight," was featured on the cover of the magazine Orange County, the response was unprecedented. People found themselves mesmerized by the effect that this serene and beautiful image had on them. Through loving attention to detail, Earlene has been able to depict the ordinary in such a way that the extraordinary is everywhere.

People are drawn to these images because they represent those elements found in peoples' dreams. The duck ponds, the lush landscapes, and the simple elegance of Earlene's cottages truly capture a style of life, which gives the viewer an incredible sense of peace and harmony. People everywhere recognize the irresistible charm of Earlene Moses' country scenes. They are images that people want to share with the people they love. Like fires in the fireplace on cold winter nights, her paintings bring warmth into the hearts of people who still take the time to dream beautiful dreams."

Source - RoGallery

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this method and the 2015 auction records for paintings by Moses, I was able to determine an estimated auction value of your 21x24" to be $110.

Howvever, a retail art gallery would charge about $450-500 for your Earlene Moses painting.

Selling art:

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -

I suggest the you try artbrokerage.com selling

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

Plus try ads on sites such as

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small or not existent.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We paid a lot more than what you quoted.

http://rogallery.com/Moses_Earlene/Moses-Springtime.html

This is a serigraph that usually sell for more than lithographs.

Note dimensions are 24 x 36" and an asking price of $750. This gives a retail art gallery value per square inch of $0.868.

Taking this price per square inch, and multiplying your smaller piece's dimensions of 21 x 24", I arrived at the retail price of 21 x 24 x .868 = $437.

The auction average per sq inch values are $0.2134

As I explained before I sent you the assessment, measurement of prices per sq inch is the standard method used by appraisers.

I hope this helps you understand the value given.

Kind regards,

Doris