Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a Tretchkoff painting of mother and daughter

Customer Question

I have a Tretchkoff painting of mother and daughter Springbok. I don't know if it is a print and it is signed. Was bought in Johannesburg in the late 70's. Or early 80's
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

You likely have a vintage color printed reproduction of the Springbok painting by Vladimir Griegorovich Tretchikoff (Russian, 1913–2006) done on texturized surface and made to appear like an original painting. If you look closely at the image of the signature you may see a dot matrix pattern on the surface that is indicative of machine printing. It was common throughout the 20th century for publishers to print images of paintings and sell them as decorative wall art through decorator, furniture and framing shops.

On today's market, this could sell for a high of $40 - $60. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $100.

If yours is indeed the original painting, then it would carry an auction estimate of $25,000 - $35,000.

You are welcome to send images for me to look over for you to determine if you have a print or an original. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora