Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Need value range ( purposes) quality 18th century early

Customer Question

Need value range (for insurance purposes) for high quality 18th century early American portrait of a child holding a rabbit. Approx 24" H. x 18" wide. Painting on canvas, later mounted on masonite.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I am wondering if you are still interested in having your item assessed?

Please let me know and do you have requested images available?

I look forward to reading back from you.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will attach front and back photos and one detail photo of the colonial American portrait painting. It is unsigned. Sorry it has taken so long to get the photos!
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images. The frame and nails are 20th century and the painting is 19th century at earliest, not 18th. Can you share any provenance, or history or previous ownership of this? Is the painting on board or wood? From the images, I see a board on the back of the painting where the paper backing has been removed.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the frame and nails are newer, probably re-framed by my grandmother in the early 1900's. Although the painting is now in my daughter's possession, I remember examining it when it was removed from the frame and determining that it had been re-lined and mounted on masonite (to my dismay). I should add that I have a degree in art history and training in conservation, so I do know something about this but am far from expert.
I don't know the complete provenance of the painting, which my grandmother (nee 1892) always called "Unc" (for uncle). Her family came from Maine (Coopers Mills) as far back as we know. She was the daughter of a sea-captain, George DeLano, from Damariscotta, ME, and who is descended in a straight line from Philippe DeLaNoye, captain of the Fortune, the first ship to land at Plymouth in 1621, one year after the Mayflower. So there are deep family roots in Maine and Massachusetts. That's all I know for sure.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for sharing the history. Please allow me some time to study the images for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard from you regarding the early American portrait of a young boy with rabbit. Please send me an update. I still need an estimate of the value for insurance purposes.