Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a very unique decorative water pitcher that is sliver

Customer Question

I have a very unique decorative water pitcher that is sliver or silver plate. I can not find any silver marks on it. The only thing that I can find are on the very of the pedestal they reads E2957. Can you help me to determine what this is? Is there any way I c send you a picture?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

This is a late 19th century cold water pitcher. Without hallmarks nor being marked sterling it is silver plate. You can have the metal tested for free at a local gold/silver buyer shop. It takes less than a minute and the test is done in front of you. The numbers relate to the mold shape, and they were in-house inventory codes that cannot be used to trace to the maker. Likely American, though without a country of origin stamp or specific country sterling hallmarks, where this is from cannot be definitively stated. Silver plate does not have a precious metal melt down value and thus would sell for significantly less than sterling. As a silver plate pitcher, the high sale average would be $50 - $100. If sterling, $500 - $700.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora