Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

What is the value of this silk screen? My grandfather

Customer Question

What is the value of this silk screen? My grandfather purchased it in Tokyo during WWII
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Besides there are extra system charges to you for live conversations.

I can value your silk screen but I cannot tell you the artist. Will that be satisfactory to you?

If so, please give me the dimensions of your silk screen.

Kind regards,

Doris

PS: Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer. Ignore them. They are automatically generated by the system (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back-and-forth and information gathering) and don't come from me.

Thanks, Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I need the full detail on the piece including the artist.

Understood.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find an accurate answer to your question.
I am going to release your question (opt-out) so that if another professional knows the answer, he/she can help you.
I will not be able to respond to your questions once I opt-out.
I hope you find the answer to your question.
Kind regards,
Doris

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

You have a Japanese gold leaf screen art piece, which are known as byobu. I am not able to translate the artist name for you, but I can recommend contacting *****@******.*** to see if they can assist. Ultimately, the value will hinge on the artist who created this and age, as it is an artform that has been practiced and has remained relatively unchanged over the hundreds of years since byobu were first made.

You can also try contacting the Zentner Collection: http://www.zentnercollection.com/

and

Cynthia Shaver: http://www.asianart.com/cshaver/index.html

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fee today was $58.00. Is there someone else who can identify the artist and age of the piece?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Your question has been visible to all the experts since it was posted.

This question thread conversation should not entail additional charges. Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. Experts do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form. For such queries, please email *****@******.***

If you prefer, I can opt-out and open your question to all the experts again. Opening the question is not a guarantee that you will receive an answer about the artist, which is essentially why I provided contact information to you to places that will be able to answer your question about the artist name signed on the gold leaf and hand painted screen or byobu, which is much more valuable and completely different from a silkscreen product. If the artist is of some stature, these can sell for well into the tens of thousands.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Nora - I was really hoping one of the experts on this site would be able to translate and provide the provenance
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I will opt-out here and open your question to all the experts again and perhaps if someone knows the translation they will respond to you here. Again, I do suggest reaching out to the contacts I cited above. As for provenance, technically, that term means applies to chain of prior ownership - which is best known by the current owner and not able to be determined by an appraiser. Known provenance being that your grandfather purchased it after WWII (since we were at war with Japan during WWII).

~Nora