Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I found what appears to be an original unfinished pencil

Customer Question

I found what appears to be an original unfinished pencil drawing water color on manilla paper of a two-story house by Maurice Utrillo V. I'd love to know if it has any value. Thank you!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** there any information on the drawing that identifies it as the work of Utrillo?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is signed Maurice Utrillo V.

Can you send images of the work? You can use the paperclip icon found on the tool bar to attach them. Please include a clear image of the whole work and one of the signature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an android phone and I don't see a paper clip icon.

In that case you can send it by email to***@******.*** attention Tim in Antiques, or you can you can use a photo sharing site like imgur to post the images. If you choose the site please copy and paste the url to your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will send it via e-mail.

It may take a day before I see it. It depends on how busy the support people are, so please be patient.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you!

You are welcome

I received you images. The work could be by Maurice UTRILLO (1883-1955). With works by major artists there is always the issue of authenticity. In the case of Utrillo there are two recognized experts. Jean Fabris, a French art historian and secretary to the painter's widow and Paul Petrides, who as a world-recognized authority. Next the art market in general is very volatile. In the case of Utrillo, so far in 2015 21 watercolors have come to auction only 7 sold with hammer prices ranging from $2,000.00 to $38,000.00. Assuming you have an original work by Utrillo that would be the estimated auction value. The good news is that since 2000 the value of Maurice Utrillo's work is up by 14%. I hope this answers your question. All the best Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would one go about contacting one of those experts? Also, any idea why the artwork I have is unfinished, or do you think he wanted it to look that way? And finally, any idea if maybe the drawing is of his home?

Since the artist signed the work he must have been happy with it. Maurice had a drinking problem and he would often produce a painting to trade for a bottle of wine. Most Maurice Utrillo authentications cost $1,500. If you are looking to sell, you should contact either: Bonhams , New York NY or Sotheby's, New York NY. You can ask them for an estimate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An estimate of what the painting is worth or how much they would charge to authenticate it?

To authenticate costs $1,500.00

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was your painting, would you get it insured?

The auction house will look at it and tell you if they can sell it for free. No I would not insure it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I have to mail it to them?

Here is the link to International Foundation for Art Research that does authentications: http://www.ifar.org/authentication.php They will let you know what they need.

If I have answered your question please rate my answer. That is how I am compensated for my time. All the best as you move forward. Tim