AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I need an appraisal Mom's Uncle Remus Cabin. It is pewter by

Customer Question

I need an appraisal for my Mom's Uncle Remus Cabin. It is pewter by Michael Ricker. Purchased in 1991 for $ 1250.00, appraised at that time by the artist for $ 2550.00 The cabin is approximately 12" by 12"
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Miel-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/9blwy-need-appraisal-mom-s-uncle-remus-cabin.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

I'm sorry that you encountered some basic dishonesty when you purchased the piece. An appraised value is required to be based on the price paid between a willing buyer and willing seller. If your mom paid $1,250, the value at the time would have been $1250. To provide an appraisal for a higher figure was wrong, dishonest, and a conflict of interest on the artist's part to make a sale.

I'm also sorry to say that, as is often the case with these "collectibles," once purchased the value goes way down, not up. Those dishonest appraisals are a way to convince the buyer that it is an investment, but the reality is that very, very few collectibles go up in value or even hold value.

These cabins come up for sale at auction and on consignment fairly often, with a typical resale price of $100 - $150. This one sold in June for $110.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/37674846_limited-edition-pewter-sculpture

I'm sorry for any disappointment. I wish I had better news for you.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I am showing that you have not accepted my answer.

Keep in mind, I can only give you truthful information as simply telling you only what you wish to hear but what may not necessarily be true would only hurt you. If you are upset at your situation but not by the quality of my answer, please consider rating positively as I am only a messenger.

If you simply want more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you to your satisfaction. If you have other concerns, reply and let me know. I am here to make sure you are satisfied.

How can I help you further?

Jennifer