Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have an item left to me by my mother who died in her

Customer Question

Hi - I have an item left to me by my mother who died in her nineties not too long ago. She and my faher would very avid art collectors and antique collectors. Sadly, the bulk of our family's collection was all auctioned offd from our mini estate on Long Island, in New York, long ago. However, my mother made sure to hang on to a fw items and this one is an original water painting on canvas paper - the first menu cover for a famous Parisian restaurant called Le Coo Hardi. My father had been there while serving over seas in WW !! and brought this back for my mother . The artist's name is painted into the lower left hand corner with a little doodad next to it which I cannot read, unless I pull the paper cover of the menu out of the frame. It has been framed for over seventy five years and so the frame ( which I think is maple, but I'm unsure), is slightly scratched and in the back, there is a small tear in the paper way down low, which the painting has been done upon. However, the front of the paper, where the water colored menu for Le Coo Hardi was done, is still perfect. I wonder if you would be kind enough to tell me what the worth of an item such as this might be. I also have a few pieces of rare sculpted art in pewter and in ceramic with the artist's name etched - it is all Scandinavian art and I am told was done by a famous artist. I, for now though, am most interested in the Le Coo Hardi menu cover. I will keep it protected in a plastic bag although I wish I had done so sooner. I was terribly upset by my mother's death and although I knew this was valuable, well, when I came into having this and some other pieces, I was just too discombobulated to think about locking everything away in a very special and well - deserved manner. But this of course is extra info you don't really need to know about - sorry about that. Please contact me and let me know what I should do with this if I wish to get the best price for it. I am reticent about passing it on to my sons as they would not appreciate the full meaning and value of something so delicate and being an original. Well - yes, they would get it, however their lives are so chaotic with new babies and the like, that I fear it would get lost in the shuffle and be ruined, or just plain lost to time....I have very little room in my house for storage and also I believe that this might be a bit of a miracle which I need right about now. Maybe I'm altogether wrong - or misunderstood my mother, but I doubt it! She was a Mensa member, extremely bright - spoke several languages fluently, and my father was an Emmy award winner screenwriter - both well versed in the arts and antiques are gone to me. My step mother has the two Picassos and one Jackson Pollock that my father bought, plus two Paul Klees which I grew up with on my bedroom wall, and yet his second wife refused to part with them to me when he died - I'm sure she would have done the same had this item but my mother hung onto it for sentimental reasons mostly and also because she believed it would be notably valuable later on in life - and here it is - much later on now. The Guy Arnoux menu painting for Le Coo Hardi was a special item at the time it came back from France to the U.S. with my Dad in 1941 - already old and valuable then if I am recalling the story correctly. Well - I have taken up way too much of your time no doubt - One last note. I did look up Guy Arnoux - I saw that five items were listed on one art site - however only two actually showed up and one was the cover of Vanity Fair magazine from a long time ago, so I suspect that he was an artist of some repute. Thanks for your help in advance - I await your reply anxiously. Most sincerely ***** ***** Monroe
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - I used a credit card at first and entered my security code number three or four times and it was refused which makes no sense. Then I switched to my bank card; debit/credit and it was accepted. I want to be absolutely sure that I am only charged ONCE and would like to know why the first card which is good, was not accepted. I almost never spend money online - it really scares me for obvious reasons, so please tell me what's going on - I'm worried. Thank you - Sincerely ***** ***** Monroe
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shari,

My name is Nora. Thank you for sharing your family story and my condolences on the loss of your mother.

The original illustration art by Guy Arnoux that was created and used for the cover of the Parisian restaurant, Le Coo Hardi would carry an auction estimate of $1500 - $2500 on today's market. If sold through an auction house in Paris, it could potentially exceed the high estimate. This is likely not the number you had hoped for, as I have gleaned from your posting here, however it is based on the actual sale market. You may want to contact Tajan Auction house in Paris to inquire if they would have interest in consigning your original for you. Here is the link to their website:

http://www.tajan.com/en/

I would be happy to look over images of your artwork for you, it does not cost extra to send pictures here.

As for the charge, please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. Experts do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form. For such queries, please email *****@******.***

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora