Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Nora, I have a copy of The Holy Bible with A Devotional and

Customer Question

Hello Nora,
I have a copy of The Holy Bible with A Devotional and Practical commentary by the Rev R Jamieson D.D and the Rev E H Bickersteth A.M. This was published by JAMES S VIRTUE, LONDON. I understand that these bibles were published between 1861 and 1865, and that some had 2 volumes; some had 2 volumes; and some, like mine, had just one volume. My bible was given to my great grandfather by his parents in 1866, so I am presuming that it was probably published in 1865. Millions of KJBs were in circulation at that time, and I am wondering whether you could give me some indication at how many included commentaries by the Rev R Jamieson D.D and the Rev E H Bickersteth.
Regards,
Brian XXXX
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the request here. Though I cannot narrow down an exact number for you, of the myriad of King James version Bibles that were published ever, those with commentary by Jamieson and Bickersteth are a relatively minute number in comparison. It is moreso when the publisher, Virtue of London is factored in and who the publisher is and the date of your Bible contribute more to the value than the relative perceived rarity of a KJB with commentary by Jamienon and Bickersteth. Virtue published this version from the 1860s version through at least the 1880's. Comparable retail prices for your version, being 1860's and single volume are $400 - $500 on today's market.

Please let me know if there is additional information you are seeking on your Bible that I can assist you with here.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nora,Many thanks for that information. I was given a value of £30 at an
Antiques Road Show in 2014. I had gone there at that time as it was the
400th anniversary of the KJB, hoping to get some advice about my great
grandfather's bible, and was disappointed that the guy there seemingly knew
nothing about the KJB with commentaries by Jamieson and Bickersteth.
My great grandfather was given this bible in 1866 bible, so it was obviously
published before then. I have nearly completed writing up some
documentation on this bible, and attach a copy of what I have done so far.
I am interested to see that it is stated in Wikipedia that these bibles were
only published between 1861 and 1865, and I would be interested in knowing where
you have got your information that they were still being published in the
1880s. Also I was most interested to note that the illustrations on the
BMD pages were designed by Charles Dickens' illustrator, Phizz.Regards,Brian
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

There are dated versions from the 1880's of this Bible with commentaries by Jamieson and Bickersteth that were published by James S. Virtue listed on abebooks.com

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nora,
Yes, I have viewed your your latest answer, but I am concerned that you have made no comment about the fact that it has been stated elsewhere on at least 2 separate occasions that the bibles were published just between 1861 and 1865. I appreciate that a current advert on the abebooks.com website of a bible dated c.1880, and I have now asked them to confirm whether 1880 is the date of publication, or whether it is simply the earliest BMD date in the bible. I see that, on one advert for a similar bible, the 1st date is 1851, but that date could well have been entered anytime after 1861.
I am advised that there is a 1-volume bible in the Bible Society library in Cambridge,which I have been told I may view in 2 weeks time. Their Newton catalogue simply states Published:London : James S. Virtue, [186-].
I will come back to you as soon as I hear from abebooks.com.
Regards,
Brian XXXX
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

My apologies for the confusion, the valuation is based on your version Bible being the one's printed from 1861 - 1865 that are thus identified as 'undated'. I added the information about there being more published still later to give an idea of scope of value and when another printing occurred.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you know that there were further printings? As I said previously 'I will come back to you as soon as I hear from abebooks.com'.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Abebooks.com is an aggregate book dealer site.

Here is a link for you to a copy of the Bible with commentary by Jamieson and Bickersteith that was published by Virtue in 1881:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=4801898684&searchurl=pn%3DVirtue%26bi%3D0%26ds%3D30%26sts%3Dt%26bx%3Doff%26sortby%3D20%26kn%3DJamieson+Bickersteth%26recentlyadded%3Dall

Here is a link for you to an undated version such as yours being offered:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=9050934802&searchurl=pn%3DVirtue%26bi%3D0%26ds%3D30%26sts%3Dt%26bx%3Doff%26sortby%3D20%26kn%3DJamieson+Bickersteth%26recentlyadded%3Dall

There are 8 in total from varying dates being offered for sale currently by book dealers on abebooks.com:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&kn=Jamieson+Bickersteth&pn=Virtue&recentlyadded=all&sortby=20&sts=t

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

Were you able to access the web pages using the links above?

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,
I first contacted you via ‘Just Answer’ on the 22nd September with the following question:-
My bible was given to my great grandfather by his parents in 1866, so I am presuming that it was probably published in 1865. Millions of KJBs were in circulation at that time, and I am wondering whether you could give me some indication at how many included commentaries by the Rev R Jamieson D.D and the Rev E H Bickersteth. I also said ‘This [bible] was published by JAMES S VIRTUE, LONDON. I understand that these bibles were published between 1861 and 1865.
You very kindly stated on the 23rd September ‘Though I cannot narrow down an exact number for you, of the myriad of King James Version Bibles that were published ever, those with commentary by Jamieson and Bickersteth are a relatively minute number in comparison. It is more so when the publisher, Virtue of London is factored in and who the publisher is and the date of your Bible contribute more to the value than the relative perceived rarity of a KJB with commentary by Jamieson and Bickersteth’, but you then went on to say ‘Virtue published this version from the 1860s version through at least the 1880's’, but what you failed to mention was that you had simply relied on information stated in advertisements by rare book sellers. I was charged £28.00 for this information via PayPal.
I then sent you further information on the 25th September confirming that in 1865, James Virtue’s younger brother, ***** ***** Virtue, became a partner in the family's City Road and Ivy Lane businesses, and that William subsequently went to the United States and took over leadership of the family's American branch, until his death in 1875. Yes, I accept that bibles were still being published in New York in 1880. You repeated, though, your previous assertion that ‘There are dated versions from the 1880's of this Bible with commentaries by Jamieson and Bickersteth that were published by James S. Virtue in Lon***** *****sted on abebooks.com’, but you again failed to mention that your advice was based only on uncorroborated evidence. I now note that I was charged another £36.00 for this further uncorroborated information via PayPal. I told you on the 27th September ‘I have now asked [Abebooks] to confirm whether 1880 is the date of publication, or whether it is simply the earliest BMD date in the bible. I see that, on one advert for a similar bible, the 1st date is 1851, but that date could well have been entered any time after 1861. I also said ‘I will come back to you as soon as I hear from abebooks.com’. Unfortunately you were not satisfied that I had assured you that I would come back to you once I had heard from the actual bookseller and, not only did you question me a further 2 times on the 27th September, but you did so again on the 28th September.
Fortunately I have had an opportunity this afternoon to speak to the owner of Rothwell & Dunworth. He had both of the volumes concerned in front of him, and confirmed that it did not state anywhere in either volume that this edition was published in 1880. He told me that he had only provided the date of 1880 because of its condition. He also said that there were no BMD pages. He was also surprised when I told him that the second volume started at the Book of Job, and was even more surprised when I said that, if he looked at the Preface written by Edward Bickersteth at the beginning of The New Testament, he would find written in the last paragraph on page 2 ‘Four years have passed since I started this work, in March, 1860.’ He was also most interested to be told that if, and when, he next came across a similar bible with pages for BMDs in the front, he would find that the illustrations were designed by “Phizz”. The owner of Rothwell & Dunworth thanked me for all of the information that I had given him, and said that he would be changing the previously stated date of publication immediately.
From my experience not only during my working life, but also since, I have learnt that it is always most important to verify advice that you are giving to others. From what I have now found out, I now have my doubts on how reliable the advice is that you originally gave me on 23rd September concerning the scarcity value of my great grandfather’s bible, and ask you to make arrangements for me to be refunded with not only your initial charge of £28.00, but also your subsequent charge of £36.00.
Brian XXXX
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

The queries are auto-responses sent by the company.

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified who do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form.

~Nora