Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have 2 linoleum block carvings. Been in my family years.

Customer Question

I have 2 linoleum block carvings. Been in my family for many years. Am guessing they are 100 years old or more. Each is about 28 inches by 36 inches. Very ornate and detailed. One image is of 'Sir Galahad And His Horse.' The second one is 'Joan Of Arc And Her Vision.' Both have small tittle linoleum plaques(in reverse for printing purposes) There is an artist's signature mark on each one. Wondering who might have made them and if they are of any value. They were handed down from my grandmother who was from the Oregon area.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Linoleum, though invented in 1860, was not used for block printing by artists until the artists of the Die Brucke group in Germany began to do so sometime between 1905 -1913. The design on yours could date to as late as 1920. The Die Brucke group artists were modern Expressionists, whose style was a departure from the norm at the time. Their works do not quite match the influences in your pieces which rules out your linocut blocks being made through the Die Brucke group. Here is a link for you for your records to a brief history of Die Brucke:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Br%C3%BCcke

I can better assist you with your pieces if I could please see more images. There is one of the front view of Joan of Arc and Her Vision attached here. The most important clue for me is to see clear, in-focus images of the artist's signature mark.

In general, among print collectors, the printing blocks and plates sell for significantly less than the actual prints made with the plates. It does seem counter-intuitive, but alas that is the nature of the collector mentality and spending habits in the print collecting world. On average, your linocut blocks would sell for a high of $300 - $400 on today's market.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are pics of artist's mark and of other piece-Sir Galahad And His Horse.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images of the artist's monogram. I am not able to make a match to the initials, unfortunately. If you prefer, I can opt-out and open your question to all the experts again. It does not cost extra, however opening the question is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it's no trouble I would appreciate if you could open guestion to other experts again.
Thanks, Alex
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

No trouble at all.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora