Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have a 1940 painting signed by Johannes holst called

Customer Question

I have a 1940 painting signed by Johannes holst called ausreise just wondering what it might be worth
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Tim, thank you for your question. Johannes HOLST (1880-1965) was German Painter of Sailing Ships. He worked primarily in oil on canvas. An original oil on canvas by the artists sells at auction for $4,000.00 to $8,000.00. There wa however a large limited edition color lithograph print of the Sailing Ship Ausreise, that was published in Hamburg Germany, signed in the plate and dated 1940. If you have that the value range is: $300.00 to $500.00. Is your painting on paper or on canvas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is on canvas. It is framed and has a identifcation tag on the bag of the frame that says Holst: Ausreise. I bought it at a 2nd hand store in 1989. However i cannot feel any brush strokes.

Thank you. If you do not feel any brush strokes it is possibly a reproduction printed on canvas. There were a number of companies who produced works by well known artist to be used by decorators. When you hold a flash light at an angle does the surface have a varnished look?