rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a Willets Belleek antique mug. A monk with a bandaged

Customer Question

I have a Willets Belleek antique mug. A monk with a bandaged thumb on his right hand tips a flask of wine to his lips. Over his left are, he carries a basket of grapes, other fruit, and another flask. He stands before a wall, lightly painted, with grape vines "growing" up the wall. The grapes are purple. The base of the mug is brown, encircled with grape vines, and the brown handle resembles a vine. It is marked and numbered on the bottom with what could be "MS" or "ANS," and 494. It has been in our family for at least 60 years. What can you tell me about it, and perhaps its value? Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Willets Belleek was a porcelain company in Trenton, New Jersey and was in business from 1879 to 1909. The mark on the bottom is the artist's initials and either a shape number or a date (initials MS or ANS and date 1894 or shape 494, for example). These are commonly called Monk Tankards and were part of a set that included a large pitcher and matching mugs or tankards. While the shapes are the same, the hand painted monks are all a little different in these sets. Some were painted at decorating studios and others by home artists. If the initials look hand painted, then it was done by a home artist. Your tankard has a value of $75.00.

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I see that you have read my answer.

Let's close this question by having you click the stars to rate.

If you'd like to have me assess anything else, start a new question and put 'for rarewares' so that you could get me again.