Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

I would like to get an idea of the value of flatware,

Customer Question

I would like to get an idea of the value of flatware, service for 12, with 6 pieces in each place setting. The company of the sterling is International Sterling, the pattern is Wild Rose, and the date is the 1940's.
I have a friend who is interested in buying the flatware. I am trying to determine a price that will be a "good deal" for both of us. I don't want to charge her as much as I would charge a stranger, but don't want to short-change myself, either.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising silver for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. A fair price to sell this set would be $1800-2000. The set new would be $4000 retail. Silver value is approximately $1000.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would have thought that the used silver, in perfect condition, would be worth more than the old silver. Isn't there some added antique value, since it was bought in the forties?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

No,

Not really. Unfortunately, a pattern from 1948 is not really considered antique, also this is still being made.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I find it difficult to believe that the value is so low. If the silver value is $1000, can it be that the "workmanship" (for lack of a better word) has so little added value?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

No,

My answer was that it is worth $1800-2000 for you to sell this to a friend, and retail value is $4000. A fair price to charge is around $2000. I just provided the $1000 silver value is an absolute minimum which would be about what a dealer would pay. Here is a set that sold recently on ebay for $1835 for 123 pieces which is much larger than your set

http://www.ebay.com/itm/International-Sterling-Silver-WILD-ROSE-Flatware-15-Sets-Serving-Extras-123pcs-/311418166053?hash=item4881f81b25

I hope you understand my answer.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think this pattern is still being made. According to my research it was discontinued in 2009.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what more I can tell you. Yes it has been discontinued in 2009, but there is a ton of brand new stock. You asked for a professional opinion. I have given you a very accurate market value. This is not a rare or antique pattern. It can be bought on Ebay as well as host of online sites including replacements.com in almost unlimited quantities. I sent you a link to a set that actually sold. It is your set, you can ask what ever you want for it. After buying and selling sterling silver for 45 years this is my opinion of value.

Thanks again,

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can tell you about this? If not please take time to rate my service. This is the way justanswer compensates me for my time and efforts without additional cost to you. It has been a pleasure working with you.
Thanks again,