Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have an oil painting that needs appraisal. The signature

Customer Question

I have an oil painting that needs appraisal . The signature is P Wort or T Wort ? Hard to tell
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Your vintage original landscape painting dates to the 3rd quarter of the 20th century, 1950’s - 1970’s.

It is by what is known as an unlisted artist, meaning one that does not sell at auction for fine art collector and investor purposes, but a painting that is more intended for decorative framed original wall art for the home, hotel or lobby setting. Oftentimes, the artist’s name that is on the painting is fictitious and they painted in factory settings in Mexico and China. They were sold in decorator shops, furniture show room stores and department store furniture sections.

Your vintage framed oil painting would sell for $125 - $300 on today’s market. They do get offered for higher on online auction sites, but the realistic sales prices are lower than asking price. The suggested insurance, or replacement value is $400.

~Nora