Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I have a Hummel "Retreat to Safety" on a small paper label

Customer Question

I have a Hummel "Retreat to Safety" on a small paper label on the righ side base.
M J Hummel is on the back side of the base. It is marked on a tiny stamp described as a TMK-4 with three lines on the right underside (a circled K. next a W Goebel and thirdly W Germany) and under this looks like 1948. There is also a number under the front underside 201/I.
It portrays a small boy with shorts and jacket and tyrolan (sp) hat looking down at a rather large frog as he climbs over a two rail wooden fence. Thus "Retreat to Safety". There are fine crack lines in the glaze on the sides on the base. I would like to know its' approximate value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.

Your collectible Hummel figurine would have been originally designed by sculptor Reinhold Unger in and released in 1948. Originally named "Afraid", Your TMK4 Hummel figurine would have a book value of 200-225USD. In the current market Hummel figurines have taken quite a hit in value due to a lack of demand. Taking into account the crazing, your TMK4 figurine would have a resale value closer to 25-35USD based on current market values.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for this piece, but the market has dried up considerably for the German figurines.

Best of luck with your vintage Hummel figurine.

Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Frank

Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.

Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

The leaves are upon us as well. My back can already feel it.