Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have three water (I think water) that have been handed

Customer Question

I have three water jugs (I think water) that have been handed down through the generations they are light pink in color they have only a raised mark on the bottom and if they are truly passed down they are probably english in origin. I am wondering how I would every find out the age, origin and value of these?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Please add pictures of the pieces you have and the mark on the bottom. If it is a raised diamond, then it is English.

You can add pictures using the ADD FILES button in the bottom right of your screen.

Please wait to rate me until I have had a chance to see your photos and answer the question in full.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is raised. the middle size does not appear to have a mark??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did the pictures come through?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I am not able to unzip these files when added to the text box. You would need to send them as jpg out of the extracted zip file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no zip files this time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I resent as JPEG's without the zip. Can you viiew them now?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

It is three (of the same) picture of the one jug with ruler. I would love to see the bottom.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not the same each is one inch larger than the other.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the bottom photo. This is not an English mark. These are not immediately familiar to me, so I am going to opt-out of this question so that another expert can step in. The pictures will already be here for them to see.

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Without a country of origin stamp when these were made and where cannot be definitively stated. They likely date to circa 1890 as after 1891 all wares have been required to carry a country of origin stamp. Because of the graduated sizes, these were likely measuring pitchers for cooking. It was not uncommon to have non-standard measures in a ladies kitchen in that period. The style of the mark definitely rules out that these are English and they are more likely American made. The banded decoration was hand-executed. Expect an average from $75 - $100 for each pitcher in your set.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora