Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a Limoges Cider pot that I cannot find an approximate

Customer Question

I have a Limoges Cider pot that I cannot find an approximate value for. Personal history with the pot is that my father was an Air Force officer and we were stationed in France from 1964 to 1967 (actually we were in Germany for the last 6 months). We rented a house from a French family named de la Foret that were quite well off. We were invited to their chateau one Sunday for lunch. The banquet table where we ate was Louis 14th. In the center of the table Madame de la Foret had the Limoge cider pot filled with fresh flowers. My mother admired it tremendously and when the de la Forets came to our house for a reciprocal visit several weeks later, Mme de la Foret gave the cider pot to my mother as a hostess gift. It has a gold handle and gold circle at the top and a band, just beneath the gold circle, about 2 inches deep, that is a green background painted with poppies. The mark on the bottom of it continues to confound me. It is simply marked "Limoges" with a green stamp in a half circle on top and, about 1" below that France in the same green stamp in another reversed half circle on the bottom. The cider pot is in excellent condition. No chips, no crazing. I do have pictures of the cider pot and the mark. Can you tell how to find an accurate approximate value? Thanks.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Your porcelain cider pot was originally produced as a blank in Limoges, France. The plain green mark is indicative a 'white ware; producer that would sell for export or to a decorator studio. If this was decorated in a professional studio it would have a second stamped mark on the underside for the painting studio. If it does not have a 2nd mark, then the piece was purchased by a hobbyist decorator who added the poppies on their own. These cider jugs originally would come in a set with 5-6 matching porcelain tumblers. On today's market, expect to garner a high of $100 - $200 for the jug on its own. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $250.

~Nora