Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have an early 1800's mohagany English Sideboard that I

Customer Question

I have an early 1800's mohagany English Sideboard that I want to sell. My parents bought it in 1980 for $3200.00. I need to know how much it's worth and the best way to sell it. I can send pictures. It's a large and intricate piece. I'm moving to a smaller home and I won't have a formal dining room to put it in. I hope you can help me to determine a fair price and the best way to sell it. Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jo Anna,

Prices for this type of English mahogany sideboard have dropped since the 1980's; primarily because decorating tastes have changed since that time and because of the advent of the internet and shows like Antiques Roadshow these furniture items are more ubiquitous. It would be best to ask $3200 or even up to $4000, though realistically they sell for a high of $1200 - $1800 on today's market currently. However, any person can ask any amount they want on any item they own - the key element is finding a willing buyer at your price.

~Nora