Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have an oil painting, one of three, that were left rolled

Customer Question

I have an oil painting, one of three, that were left rolled up in my grandmother's attic in Holland. My father brought them to Canada over 35 years ago. It is a dark scene of a Antalya in Holland with boats and homes along the ward, can only make ou the name as THV Pool? Any ideas?
Thank you,
Rose Colley
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have two teacups and matching saucers stamped with "made in occupied Japan".
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rose,

The signature on this is Th. v.d. Poel which likely stands for the artist name of Thomas van der (or den) Poel. Who is an an unlisted artist. On today's market these sell for an average of $75 - $300, depending on the size.

Tea cup and saucer sets marked Made in Occupied Japan date to being made from 1946-1952. Each set of a cup and saucer would sell for $5 - $15 on today's market.

~Nora