rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have 12 matching antique dinner size plates in excellent

Customer Question

I have 12 matching antique dinner size plates in excellent condition. The marking on back is a gold crown (not just outline, fully filled in gold). Also apart from this crown is a B encircled with single line scroll design in blue. Beneath this encircled letter and beneath scroll design is the letter L. Plate edges are scalloped with thick gold border and center of plate has heavy gold bouquet. Entire plate is decorated in multi colored floral garlands and three very distinct oval black "frames" with a single bouquet of roses. Each bouquet within the three oval black are slightly different. I would really appreciate the name of this pattern and circa. I can send picture of front and back. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Dear Beatrice,

Please add one more picture of the mark you described on the back.

Refrain from rating this question until I have had the chance to see the back stamp and answer fully about your plates.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached photo of back of plate with markings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope the photo of plate markings went through.
Beatrice Fitch
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

The mark in blue is a fake Sevres mark. This mark is the decorator's mark only (the studio that painted the plates) and represents Paris Porcelain from 1890-1920. The actual maker's mark is underneath the gold crown that you mentioned. A single razor blade will scrape off enough of the crown to reveal the actual maker under the crown. Sometimes you can hold a plate to strong light and read the mark without scratching off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I rate this researcher, I am going to try to do as she says and scrape off gold crown. I am not sure she is correct. Beatrice Fitch
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Please do not respond to the automated email asking you to prematurely rate me.

I am right, I see this all of the time. The maker was covered to avoid tariff and to make it look like the decorator also manufactured the piece. Sevres had no B in the middle of their marks and this is a known faux mark, not necessarily a bad thing and is considered common.