Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

This Portrait....which my family refers to as "Sneaky

Customer Question

This Portrait....which my family refers to as "Sneaky Pete" has been in my family for at least 60 years. More than likely my Grandfather acquired in Southern California. As you can see, the paint is "crackled" like many of the old pieces I have seen in
Europe. The artist's name is ***** ***** corner. It is mounted on something like plywood....with a fairly elegant (dusty) old frame. Let me know if you are interested in researching
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as you can see....the artist's name is ***** ***** right hand bottom corner of the portrait. Never been able to figure it out.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

This is a circa 1900 portrait painting of a man based on a 16th century Dutch or Flemish Master style in a hand carved primitive or folk art frame with an illegible signature.

On today's market, this could sell for a high of $150 - $250 and the value would be more in the frame.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora, guess what??? I knew it was a man.....I was also aware that it is a portrait....And I don't know a lot of art.....but I have toured most of Europe and am familiar with the Dutch / Flemish style. yes the frame is pretty cool....I didn't ask for an appraisal of the frame. I asked for information about the portrait. Not a very good answer....I guess this is the best you can do?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

If you can send more clear, in-focus close-up images of the signature, it may be able to be deciphered - though if deciphered, it may not be by a known listed artist.

~or~

I can opt-out here and open your question again to all the experts if you like?

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please do
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi~

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Nora.....
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Certainly.

Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** you for an unique challenge I have your images. Let me do some research on this. It may take a day or so. If I am lucky sooner.

Hi, so far I have searched for the artist by name based on the signature and have not found a match. I am now looking an attribution based on the style and technique of the painting. To help date it can you send an image of the back?